Written by: League Administrator
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Parents - thank you again for having your son participate in Plymouth Babe Ruth. We had a wonderful season finished off by exciting playoff series in both the Downie and Rose Divisions and an unbelievable Downie All Star game that raised thousands of dollars for the Bradley and Molly Webster Trust Fund. A wonderful community effort to support these children who recently lost both parents. A proud day for the League.
Please find the Goals and Important Dates for the 2017 Season Below. There will be a general membership meeting for anyone interested on September 8th at PNHS in Room 109 at 7:00pm. In addition, anyone interested in coaching a team in either division should contact me to schedule an interview. We have openings for 3 Rose teams and potentially 1 Downie teams. In addition, for last season's 15 YO Downie players, as a 16 year old in 2017 you are all invited to return to the league.
GOALS and IMPORTANT DATES for the 2017 Season:
1. Eliminate possible forfeits due to AAU commitments. How do we make changes to accommodate league players that also play AAU?
o Alternating Scheduled Sunday Games for All Teams
o Sunday Games Played in the Evening or Under the Lights
o More Weekday Games in April and May
o Reduce the Minimum Play Rule to 60% to Qualify for All Stars
2. PBR AAU - Once again facilitate a 13 YO NEAAU team sponsored by Plymouth Babe Ruth at a much lower cost compared to private “For-Profit" organizations. February and March indoor hitting sessions at 4 for 4 Hitting, Hitting and Pitcher/Catcher Clinics, Majority Home Game Schedule, 3 DH's at PNHS. Games will be played vs. NEAAU Diamond and Super Division Teams.
3. EMASS Xtreme – Plymouth will sponsor multiple teams in the 14 & 15 YO division of Eastern Mass Babe Ruth's Xtreme League. Xtreme provides additional games versus other Babe Ruth programs with the Winner and Runner-up receiving automatic bids to the State tournament. 4 or 5 Doubleheaders are played the last weekend in May through end of June. There are no conflicts with the regular season schedule. Any divisional players may participate.
4. New this fall - Incoming 13 YO "Big Diamond Skills and Drills Sessions" with HS Varsity Coaches John Peila, Walt Fust (PSHS) and Dwayne Follette (PNHS). No Cost to families.
o Friday, August 26, Saturday, September 3, Friday, September 9.
o 6:00-7:30pm at Forges.
5.Babe Ruth Divisions:
o Rose Division – 9 Teams, Downie Division – 6 Teams (Players are may play in both leagues as needed to fill roster spots)
o August 29, 30, 31
o 7:30pm-8:30pm at the Plymouth Public Library on South Street
o Players are evaluated at 4 Stations – Hitting, Pitching, Fielding and Running.
o Tryouts will take place September 10th with rain makeup September 11th.
o Injured Players may tryout at a later date.
o Official Schedule @ Forges:
* 4:00pm All 13 YO Last Name A-L
* 5:30pm All 13 YO Last Name M-Z
* 7:00pm All 14 and 15 YO from the Downie Division or New to the League
8. Summer Ball – Plymouth will sponsor multiple teams in the All Star Summer Baseball League and/or Tournaments. Plymouth will host a tournament mid-July for any age group that is interested.
9. All Star Tryouts – After Managers nominate their team's All Star Candidates. Players will report for a two day On-Field Tryout at PNHS to be evaluated by all managers before voting. Plymouth hosted the districts and states over the past few years and will apply to do so again to host District and State Tourneys.
10. Downie All Star Game – the annual event is a great success. A day of on-field workouts with the Plymouth Pilgrims and then the marque game at night under lights at Forges. Tremendous event!
11. Opening Weekend at PNHS again for all teams.
12. Questions? Contact Jim Hanna at 508-245-2658 or firstname.lastname@example.org